Today’s Major Headlines
Good morning Nigeria! Here is today’s summary from most Nigerian Newspapers below:
1. Pan Yoruba socio-political organization, Afenifere, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to show that he is still in charge of the nation. Expressing concern with the rising insecurity in Nigeria, the group wondered if Buhari is aware of the situation in the country.
2. Former Governors of Plateau and Taraba States, Senator Joshua Dariye and Jolly Nyame have been released from Kuje correctional facility in Abuja. This is coming three months after their pardon by the Council of State led by the President, Muhammadu Buhari, on April 14, 2022.
3. Troops of the 21 Armored Brigade Bama have killed four Boko Haram terrorists when it invaded an illegal market established by the terrorists in the outskirt of Bama Local Government Area of Borno State. The decisive victory was recorded against the terrorists on Monday during an operation.
4. The West African Examinations Council, WAEC, has released the results of the recently concluded 2022 West African Senior School Certificate Examinations, (WASSCE). WAEC’s Head of National Office, Patrick Areghan made the disclosure yesterday while speaking at a media briefing.
5. The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), has faulted the recent semester examinations conducted by the management of Kaduna State University. Management of Kaduna State University had, a few weeks ago, conducted semester examinations for their students, asking lecturers to resume following governor El-Rufai’s order.
6. A team of policemen from Elemoro Division of the Lagos State Police Command, weekend, stormed the Peculiar Generation Assembly at Eputu London in Awoyaya, Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos, arresting the General Overseer, Bishop Chris Omosekpa for allegedly sexually molesting members.
7. The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission has said that singer, Oluwatobiloba Anidugbe, popularly known as Kizz Daniel, has been released from police custody in Tanzania. A video that went viral on social media on Monday showed the moment Tanzanian authorities arrested the singer.
8. A Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed September 7 to hear a suit seeking the disqualification of Bola Tinubu, presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, from contesting in the 2023 elections.
9. There were indications on Monday that the reconciliation talks between Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State and the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, had suffered a major setback as Wike again threatened to disappoint those underestimating his State.
10. The Kwara State Juvenile Court has remanded a 15-year-old boy who allegedly had carnal knowledge of a 10-year-old girl at Oro-Ago, in the Ifelodun Local Government Area of the State. The teenager reportedly emerged from the bush and met the victim with four other girls, who went to swim in a local stream in the area.